Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Yes, I know I just posted, BUT...

I wanted to gush about my toddler interpretations of period clothes. I'm not a mom, but I am an aunt. I spend countless hours with the girls (14 m/o twins!) and have always wanted to make them some garb just to see what period construction can do for ease of wear in kid's clothes. I've often thought modern clothes far too "cookie" cutter and unable to adapt to the wide range of shapes and sizes in kids and adults.

On eBay, at least, it's very hard to find simple, sturdy children's SCA garb that doesn't look like bargain bin junk. It is *especially* difficult to find garb that is cut to allow for expansion--which I suspect would have been a period practice, though I don't have hard proof. It's also hard to find children's garb that looks fairly authentic.

So I measured Boo Boo and Moo Moo (identities concealed with my nicknames for them) last week to see what I could mock up. I did three separate patterns from one mock of the same cut.

First of all, I worked on a girls t-tunic that was layerable and with extra seam allowance to let out (or take in) as they grow out and up. They currently wear 18 m/o and 24 m/o commercial clothing. I added an extra 3 3/4 inches to the hem, 4 inches to each front and back panel horizontally so that almost 8 inches can be taken out around the chest and waist. The hem will fall just below the knees.

Next, I made a simple coat that could pass through Byzantium to the Levant to the Mongolian steppes. I'm leaving everything plain so the new owner can add what he/she likes for the period they prefer. I left out the gores, but I cut them and am including them when I send them in case someone wants to add them in.

Lastly, I made a really simple peplos for the little female Celts/Romans/Greeks out there. When I decide on a male pattern for trousers and leg wraps that will fit diapers, I'll market them with the t-tunics for the Celt/Viking boys.

For the future of the line:

I also made a simple coif pattern based on my own. It's 16th century based (3 piece), but I'm going to do a pre-16th C. 2 piece pattern for the real authenticists (like me) out there. I'd also like to do a liripipe hood and a hood-less cape. I'm also a little bit interested in a simple middle class Flemish from the Tudor era.

I'm definitely investigating making basic muslin chemises in two styles: square neck with finished wrist cuffs for the later period, and regular round neck with open wrists for the earlier period tunics and peplos.

Any more ideas, leave them in the comments!



So hopefully, I'll have about 8 samples for sale (and pictures for an update here) on eBay by this weekend. I offer special free pickup for SCAdians who are attending the same events as me, so take a look and let me know if you're in the area and I can deliver at the event.

Yours in Service to The Dream,
Gillian


No comments: