Tuesday, March 4, 2008

13th-14th century drawstring pouches with stamped designs

Ever since I checked out that textile book last summer, I've had it in my head to create a stamped fabric creation of some sort.

After much mulling over and hopeful thinking and studying of shapes and designs, I've finally decided to do some test samples. At first they will be very simple: a Fleur-de-li and a three-cornered Celtic knot. But I hope to move onto some of the garland and flowery prints as I develop. I'm hoping Corwyna will help me create wood blocks for printing eventually. For now I'm going to make very simple closed-cell foam versions.

There's about a million and a half ways to make these bags, so I thought a broad view of as much information as I can get a hold of was important. This site about pouches and bags and reliquaries, Oh my! has excellent links to pictures and information of different styles of bag.

This bag is the shape that I'd like to create. The silhouette, if you will:


"woven of silk and wool with the arms of Brabant-Limbourg and Bourbon, 1291-1310"
Picture Source
Caption Source


I'd like to have tassels attached like in this picture:


1300-1330
Picture Source (This is my screen capture of detail. You can find the full picture at this site.)


And this is sort of what I'd like to eventually accomplish as far as print styles go:


"Small bag or aumônière made in Italy in the 14th century; fabric is apparently a form of brocade made of silk, linen, and cotton"
Picture Source
Caption Source

So that's it for now. See you tomorrow.

YiStTD,

Gillian


No comments: