Wednesday, July 11, 2007

13th Century Gown

So I measured, cut, and sewed together a preliminary 13th century gown.

And as usual, somehow I messed up the measurements. I believe it was with the side gores. I'm used to making things without arm gussets. This was my first properly constructed (ignore the sewing machine) gown with armscye gussets and 4-sided side gores. I ran out of fabric and had to reduce the side gores and I think I lost some circumference that way.

Being of large chest and curvy waist is so frustrating sometimes. I hate looking like a tent, but that seems to be all I can manage not to screw up lately. If I leave the chest tight, I can reinforce the seams and use it as a supportive gown, even though it's out of period for such a thing.

To fix the problem (since I don't have any more fabric...) I'm going to use a similar color cotton to add additional goring to the front and sides and throw the whole thing in a dye pot next week with some linen I'm dying. Unfortunately, it's a very dark blue and I have to get some more blue dye to make sure it sticks.

I can't afford to make these mistakes with the Tudor this weekend. But neither do I have the time or money to make muslin mock-ups of everything. I can fix most of what I mess up, but it kills that "One Dress in Four Hours" thing I've been striving for to get my kit done for Pennsic.

If I have the energy, I'll add the gores tonight after Fighter Practice, but in all probability, I'll be dead dog tired. I'm eating light today to avoid being so logy afterwards.

Pictures soon, I promise.

YiS,
Gillian

1 comment:

Jerusha said...

Oh, man -- I wish you were on livejournal -- they're easier for me to keep up with!

Anyway, I feel your pain. I'd like to see photos and analysis and all that. (34G chest ....). I made a gown from a pattern that I did at Gulf War, and I've got to figure out what to do *now* -- I got it sewed up, and I can't get it on! I think I'm going to have to lace it up the sides -- or at least one side -- my ^@#$%^&*( boobs are too big! Of course, it could need bigger underarm gussets, etc, but ...

Is there a way for this thing to email me and let me know if/when you comment?