Tuesday, June 24, 2008

15th century kirtle

I finished Anne's first kirtle today at work. The last thing I have to do is cover the grommet holes with embroidery floss. Normally I would hand-bind the eyelets, but this is the quick and dirty way. It'll look nice with the floss over it though. And she'll have to find something to lace it with (lucet cording works well), because all I have is a safety pin to hold it together at this point.

The major seams are machine sewn, but the sleeves, the hems, and the collar are all hand-finished. It's helpful to have nothing to do at work and plenty of sewing to do. It makes me want to work even harder so I can get through my garb to-do list before Pennsic.

In period, they would have worn this over a long sleeved-smock, then pinned on lower sleeves to cover the smock arms. Here's a period painting illustrating such:


and...


So without further ado, here's some pictures. Hopefully I get some with her in it at Pennsic.










No comments: